From Clew Bay to Croagh Patrick

Leave a Comment
When most people visit the area of Murrisk in Mayo, they are usually planning on a pilgrimage to Croagh Patrick or just adding a another conquest of the mountain to their list. I was one of those people who attempted to conquer Croagh Patrick, however unlike most people, I have yet to succeed. My old nemesis defeated me once again, but rather than licking my wounds, I turned my attention to the amazing views that surround the mountain, that of Clew Bay.
Clew Bay historically was said to have 365 islands, one for every day of the year,  the edge of which is guarded by Clare Island, home of the infamous, Grace O’Malley, Queen of Clew Bay.
Luckily for me you don’t have to trek far up Croagh Patrick to be granted a spectacular view of the Bay itself and the Nephin Mountain range to the north. So after deciding that the mountain had won, I headed back down, had some lunch and regrouped. The beaches along the coast looked so appealing that I needed to see more. To make the most of the day, I headed out to the sandy beaches of Bertra, just five minutes from the base of Croagh Patrick. 

On that day in particular the sun was shinning and the skies were clear, allowing unrestricted views of Achill and Clare Islands. Although Bertra has been damaged numerous times by storms, it didn’t stop people from coming out to enjoy the views. Families strode along the beach, with children and dogs in tow, the shrieks of laughter only interrupted by the sounds of waves crashing against the shore. Shoes were optional as your feet sank into the soft sand and were washed by the water as the tide made it’s way slowly inward.
With the sunlight fading, I took the last few photographs of the day and started the trip home, cocooned between Croagh Patrick on the right and Clew Bay on the left. Although the day hadn’t ended the way I expected, in some ways it turned out better as I was able to experience a different section of Murrisk than I had previously thought. My old foe and I will meet again though, hopefully I will finally succeed, but if not, I know I can take comfort in the shores of Clew Bay.

SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

PREMIUM BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig